Thursday 20 May 2010

Thursday 20/5/2010

Finally arrived in Utange on Tuesday 18th May. Did have to take the train to London after all but it was fine.

The sunrise from the plane was amazing - the sky was so clear I was able to see Ethiopia as the plane flew down to Mombasa.

First mistake was telling Passport Control that I was in Mombasa to do voluntary work for 10 weeks - I would have been better saying I was just visiting - even though my work is voluntary I still need a work permit so must get to Emigration in Mombasa and apply before they come looking for me!! I have learned so much already about life here even though I have only been here since Tuesday. Each area only has one public school so a teacher can have up to 150 pupils in their class - dependent on the size of the area. Can't imagine what it must be like trying to control a class that size.

My summer house is just as I expected from the pictures - I'm on my 5th cold shower. Just hope that when the weather gets warmer the water also gets warmer. We had out first black out yesterday - power came back on around 7pm last night.

The I pod I got as a presenti great and I'm using it every night in my summer house - Utange has been introduced to Leonard Cohen lol

1 comment:

  1. Glad you arrived safely and had a good flight. Trust you to get on the internet within 2 days! The weather has turned hot here at last and supposed to go on for a while, lets hope so. Look forward to your next post and keep safe. love Pauline x

    ReplyDelete