Saturday 15 May 2010


Saturday 15th May.

I met my friend Brenda for lunch Friday and now have an assortment of letters and money gifts for several of the children. The money is to be used for food parcels for the children and their families and the letters are an opportunity for sponsors to catch up with their sponsored children. The money is in sterling so I will need to change it to Kenyan Shilling when I arrive in Utange then work out how much rice, etc I can purchase with each gift. I'm hoping the headmaster Lemy will help me with this - Maureen has assured me that he will.
Maureen has also given me an overview of what to expect - good and bad - so I feel more or less prepared.

Over the last two days I have become very aware of what we all take for granted - the way hot water flows the minute the shower is turned on and the fresh clean water that comes out of the kitchen taps. I'm expecting that won't always be the case over the next few weeks so I'm enjoying all the nice hot showers at the moment. I think my cat has expectations that he is coming with me - why would he have jumped in the case otherwise? lol He doesn't know it yet but he goes on his holidays tomorrow to my friend Caroline's. I'll miss him but know he will be well looked after.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Joan for tomorrow, hope all goes well and look forward to following your progress. Make the most of your time there and come back a new person! By the way the anonymous person is Pauline, Gavin set it up like that the idiot.

    ReplyDelete