Tuesday 11 May 2010

Getting ready to leave

Tuesday 11th May, 2010.

It's hard to believe that this time next week (ash cloud permitting) I will be in Utange, a small villiage in Eastern Kenya located about ¾ mile from the coast. Utange which is a one street village is a suburb of Mombasa. Most of the houses are made from adobe (mud) and need to be rebuilt after hard rain. The children of the village have no place to play but they do have a school thanks to Maureen and Ian and they gather there as often as they can. The children start school at 3½ years old, if they are big enough (they must be able to put their hands over their heads and touch their ears).

I am looking forward to meeting the children especially Muthoni the little girl I sponser and getting settled into my little summer house which is in grounds belonging to a Kenyan councillor Mr Chirongo.

I'm not sure what to expect however I think the electricity supply isn't to be relied on so a torch and some candles are at the top of my list!

I've had all my injections and I have a bag full of malaria pills to take with me - so that's my health sorted :-)

I plan to update my blog as often as I can - dependant on the availability of an internet cafe!!

Six days to go!!

1 comment:

  1. You will be on your way in just a few hours - Can't wait to read your next entry!

    ReplyDelete