Sunday 18 July 2010

Countdown to going home :-(

Over two weeks since I last updated my blog and I am now on countdown - 10-days to go.
I can hardly believe that my 10-week adventure is almost over and what a ten weeks!!
What has been happening recently? Well the school has been buzzing with visits from sponsors and the children have been delighted with all the goodies that have been brought out. New uniforms, new shoes, pencils and more pencils, bubbles that went down a storm, jotters, free lunches all week in Kindergarten, visits to the pool in hotels, new bikes (thank you Claire and Jerry for the two that you bought - the kids are delighted and no more walking 5-miles back and forward to school each day) footballs, food parcels for families, new text books, and I could go on and on.
For me it has been great having the visitors out as I've had lots of company plus the odd gin and tonic when I gatecrash their hotels - and the odd free lunch as well.
On a much more serious note yesterday all of the teachers and sponsors were invited to Sada's house to celebrate her life and meet the family. For those of you not on Facebook Sada was a young 16-year old who sang in the Choir and has visited the UK with the Singing Children. A few months ago Sada found herself pregnant and unfortunately both baby and Sada have since died. Such a waste of a life of a sweet young girl. I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Sada but I certainly heard her sing in the Choir in Dunfermline but those who knew her said she was a beautiful unassuming girl who brought joy to all who knew her.
Death during and after childbirth is not uncommon in the villages in Kenya especially as there are many home deliveries often assisted by no more than family members - Sada's case is not unusual but very very sad.
So what is planned for the coming week? Tomorrow is yet another visit to Immigration in Mombasa - Roz Walker an MA student from Cornwall is currently in Mombasa and would like to observe some session delivery in Primary school however there is no way I am letting her in class until she has a letter of Authority from Immigration!! We made our first visit on Friday of last week and are back again tomorrow to hopefully collect the letter which will allow her to enter the classrooms - after my experience we can't be too careful lol
Tues - Fri I want to spend time in school plus do some last minute shopping. Claire - I have 20 Mosquito nets to buy this week - thank you - most are going to the small kids in KG1 to limit the risk of maleria which can be especially fatal in young children. I also want to buy a few pressies to bring home and a couple of items on special order - a Kenyan shirt being one (which still has to be made so I better get a move on)
So next update will be from Scotland plus loads of pics once I get back to my own computer. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment