Saturday 5 June 2010

End of another week - Saturday 5th June 2010

A spelling error correction first of all. For any of you trying to use Google Earth to figure out exactly where I am I'm not helping with my constant spelling errors of the places around here. So you may remember in a previous blog I mentioned the town nearby that Grace christened Sodom and Gomorrah - OK that is Mtwapa - not sure how I spelt it previously but I know it wasn't correct lol I should also add that when I mentioned white men with beautiful Kenyan girls I should have emphasised old white men! Anyway enough of that.

Story worth mentioning - those of you on Facebook will have heard this one already however def worth a mention again.

Walking home from the Cyber cafe this week when I was stopped by a Boda Boda man (found out that is the name for the motorbike transport around here- thank you Maureen) Boda Boda man to me: "hi Madam Jo-An, would you like a ride home in my fully air-conditioned taxi" - you have to admit the guy had style - you know my lack of fondness for this mode of transport however how could I refuse that line!! And no Maureen - not just so I could hang on tight........ Well, not completely lol

George the taxi driver who took me shopping this week is now top of my Xmas card list!

George:
"Are you English Jo-An?"

Me:
"No George - well it's complicated. I live in Scotland but I was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, so that makes me an Northern Irish Woman"

George:
"Ah - Jo-an, Manchester United, George Best, do you know this man?"

Me:
"Fantastic, just about the best footballer who ever lived" (indulge me here - Belfast hasn't produced many world famous footballers - and he was gorgeous lol)

George:
"So what is he doing now?"

George and I then discussed the demon drink and how it's misuse contributed to the too early demise of Mr GB.

Good news on the Visa/Permit story. The emigration official that the school chairman has been dealing with has advised that I don't need to do anything. I'm not teaching, more interacting with the children and helping out where I can so it's all good.

This week has been fairly quiet, I have continued to support one of Obadiah's class, Betty, by listening to her reading, and again I have 'baby sat' KG1 a couple of times whilst Grace was busy on School business. I've mentioned KG1 before on my blog, I love being with them, they are so much fun, full of mischief. My biggest success so far with the wee ones has been to teach them 'ring a ring a roses' which we sing in a large circle everyone falling on top of each other at the end!

I'm at Whitesands again today - thought it may be quiet as this is 'low' season in Kenya however I do believe all of Atlanta Georgia has just pulled up in several buses so that's the end of my quiet day. Lots of mint julups being ordered at the poolside bar then!

Nothing much else to report at the moment - oh one thing. I found a shop that sells Nutella chocolate spread - heaven!! I've been eating it out of the jar with a spoon - so what's different I hear some of you say lol

Still no water back in my little place so I am going to enjoy today and make the most of all that Whitesands has to offer - including dinner.

I'm approaching my forth week (officially starts on Tuesday 9th) I can hardly believe it, where has the time gone.

Grace and I are planning a trip to Mombasa, hopefully next Saturday so I am looking forward to that. Claire - I have the lonely planet guide to Kenya with me this weekend and am planning our day. There is so much to see in Mombasa that one day may not do it but it will be a start.

By the way this is a very interesting time politically to be in Kenya. A new constitution has been drawn up by the Government and a referendum is being held soon (August I think) to allow the people to vote on whether to accept it. Obadiah brought a copy of the document to school this week and we had a read. As with any proposed political change anywhere in the world, there is a 'yes' camp and a 'no' camp and lots of good hearted debate going on around whether to accept or not.

OK - that's it for now. Thanks everyone for your good wishes and for the continued offer of help to the kids out here. You have no idea the difference a few pounds makes to the lives of these children. Anyone wanting to help in anyway please contact Maureen or Yvonne, once again you will get their contact numbers on the website, www.educatethekids.com.

Thanks Tammie and Jerry for sponsoring two of the children - I know Yvonne has been in touch with the details. Fantastic.

love to all, x

No comments:

Post a Comment